[Xapian-devel] xapian-config --libs output on Suse 10.1

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Oct 2 13:58:42 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:32:13PM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:

> On Suse 10.1, xapian-config --libs outputs the following:
>
> -L/usr/lib -lxapian -L/usr/lib -lstdc++ -lm -lgcc_s -lc -lgcc_s -lm -lgcc_s -lc -lgcc_s
>
> The usual output on other linuxes seems to be like
>  -L/where/is/lib/ -lxapian
>
> This causes a problem when trying to perform a static link with xapian,
> because there does not seem to exist a libgcc_s.a

Hmm. It's coming out a lot, which suggests that pretty much every time
we try to detect stuff in configure (which I think is effectively
where this list of options is figured out - it ends up in a
libtool-generated file based on compile options) it thinks -lgcc_s is
important.

You need it on Solaris for various reasons, but that's only (I think)
because GCC isn't the standard compiler - I'd have thought it was on Suse.

Do you have the config.log file from xapian-core? Actually, your
libxapian.la might be more helpful - it'll be in /usr/lib judging by
the above output.

> Actually, I am not quite sure about what "xapian-config --libs" is supposed
> to be used for (it's not too clear in the manual page), so I don't even
> know if this is a bug or a feature. I'm only sure it causes problems with
> the way I use it.

xapian-config --libs outputs the complete set of flags to pass through
to your linker when building an application that uses Xapian. So it
links in the Xapian library, and any other additional libraries that
are needed to get it to work. It looks like the detection of this is
wrong on Suse, or at least on your install of it :-(