[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 7283: trunk/xapian-core/ trunk/xapian-core/net/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Oct 4 20:56:32 BST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 07:46:34PM +0100, richard at lemurconsulting.com wrote:
> What's the status of progress towards the next release?

Sadly, I seem to keep finding more things which need sorting out first.

The only thing I'm currently aware of is sorting out an issue with the
PHP5 bindings (one of the Query constructors isn't wrapped correctly).
This is a bug in the new PHP5 support in SWIG.

So I'm hoping it'll be a few days at most, but we'll see I guess.  I
wouldn't be suprised if there's still more to do though.

> I have a couple of patches which we've been working on occassionally over
> the last few weeks.  One of these is a bit mega (55K, quite invasive,
> implements an interface for using User-supplied custom sort objects to
> perform the match, and thus needs changes to the matcher code, the remote
> protocol, and various other related bits, but doesn't make backwards
> incompatible changes to the API) so should probably be deferred until after
> the release (and then broken up into small parts to be applied).  The other
> is pretty small, and is now at
>
> http://www.tartarus.org/~richard/xapian-patches/queryparser-incremental.patch

I notice a bug - you need to restart the allterms iteration if there's
no "I" term...

Interesting idea though.  How much size overhead do the I-terms add?

> Is it reasonable to consider patches like this for inclusion with Xapian
> (regardless of whether this particular patch is acceptable), or would you
> rather concentrate on getting the next release done before being
> distracted?  If the latter, I'll just archive the patches and maintain them
> until it's a suitable time to consider them.

I think at this point I'd rather hold off on any "new functionality"
changes.  I wasn't going to bother with a 0.9.7 release, but a number
of useful fixes and improvements had accrued and people may not be able
to migrate to 1.0 right away since databases will need rebuilding.

We can apply them for 1.0 I think.