[Xapian-devel] Error handling in the bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Apr 1 13:32:17 BST 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 06:57:20PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> > 1. Is it okay to require Python for maintainer mode builds of Xapian-core?
>
> If you're on Linux or FreeBSD or similar it's OK since chances are
> you'll have both installed already, but vendor Unix flavours often
> don't.  The sourceforge compile farm had perl everywhere but not
> python, for example.

+1 -- most of the most usable distros (including Mac OS X) come with
python installed, but a lot of more hard core ones don't. Solaris
still only guarantees Perl (and I doubt that will change), and I've
run into Debian-based distros (particularly for VMWare) that basically
give you netkit and let you install anything you want, so again you'll
just get Perl.

Perl does the job. It's bad enough having to have dot, which I've
always had difficulty installing...