[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 7990: trunk/xapian-core/trunk/xapian-core/bin/ trunk/xapian-core/tests/harness/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Apr 1 16:24:17 BST 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 09:46:29PM +1000, Mark Hammond wrote:
> Olly writes:
> > The only real problem so far is that libtool can't see a DLL for
> > -lws2_32 so decides to statically link everything!  Is
> > winsock actually a DLL or a static library?
>
> Its a DLL for me.  I've a 41k .lib file in the compiler/sdk 'lib' dir and a
> 83k dll in system32.  I'm surprised a static version of that library is
> available.

It may not be...

My Linux->mingw cross-compiler has:

/usr/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libws2_32.a

But I'm not sure if that's "real" static library or just the import
library for the DLL (which of course I don't have on the compiling
system).  Actually, running "strings" on it I discover it contains
the string "WS2_32.DLL" so presumably it is the import library.

So I think libtool is getting this wrong - it sees a ".a" and can't
see a ".dll" so decides it only has a static version (under UNIX you
would just link against the ".dll" - there's no need to mess around
with import libraries).  Presumably a non-cross-build would see the
".dll" and be happy.  I'll report this to the libtool folks.