[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 7990:trunk/xapian-core/trunk/xapian-core/bin/trunk/xapian-core/tests/harness/

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 2 05:21:25 BST 2007

Olly:

> I've not tried it myself, but isn't that what you get from
> unpacking the
> zip file, which is where users building releases will start from.

FWIW, I suspect that windows users will very rarely build from source.  I
expect the only people who will are ones that have some interest or
requirement to make changes, and as a result, most people who build on
Windows will therefore build from SVN.  64bit binaries might be the
exception in the short term.

> We need to know if this is a build from a tarball or SVN, but we could
> probably test for the presence of an suitable file.  But it's
> Richard or Charlie you need to convince really.

Well, its not a real problem for me (I've already crossed that bridge), so
if it isn't self evident the process is error prone, I'm more than happy to
forget it.  If it is agreed that current situation is error prone (and I
offered up my own error as evidence <wink>), then I'm more than happy to
help in this.

> Sounds reasonable, though I think it should be with the "Building from
> SVN" section and be called "Building from SVN on Windows with MSVC" -
> we want to make it clear that this only applies when building
> from SVN.

Right, yes.  I'll leave this in the hands or Richard or Charlie, who can
adapt (or discard!) the text as they see fit.

> Actually, won't all but the first step be the same for building from
> the zipped build files?

I'm afraid I've no idea - I had no interest in developing against a packaged
release as I knew any patches would ultimately need to be against the trunk.
As mentioned above, assuming Windows binaries are available, I think it will
be very rare that people will go to the trouble of building from source
unless they intend making changes.  Obviously though, this is opinion, so
its probably worth exactly what it cost you :)

Cheers,

Mark