[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] 8181: trunk/xapian-bindings/ trunk/xapian-bindings/python/

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Wed Apr 11 11:48:55 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> It might be simpler, but mostly because functionality has gone - you've
> thrown away all my carefully written failure messages!

Ah.  It wouldn't be that hard to put the error messages back (just by
adding an extra argument to each checking function).

Alternatively, I could improve the error reporting, and make it just
display the exception message and quote the lines of code around each
the error failure, instead of displaying a raw traceback.  I could also
make it report the xapian version number.

It seems a good plan to me to lower the barrier to writing tests, so
avoiding having to think of a clear explanatory message for each new
test seems a win.

> Now if a test fails, the message is very generic and you have to read
> the code to find out what's wrong.  This makes handling user reports of
> test failures harder, since the line numbers reported may be different
> in the version they're using (and the exact version is frequently not
> mentioned in initial problem reports).

Hmm.  Fair points there.

> It'll also be easier to keep the different language versions of the
> smoketest in step if we resist the urge to mercilessly refactor them
> individually...

Ah.  The reason I did all this is that I'm working on the Pythonic
iterators, and since their implementation is relatively complicated
they'll need quite a lot of extra checking - particularly since I'm
trying to support the current interfaces to iterators as well as the new
ones.  I was going to add the checks for these to the smoketest.

Perhaps the solution is to revert the changes I made to the smoketest,
and to add a Python specific testsuite for features specific to Python.

I thought that the smoketests for each language were completely
out-of-step already - I didn't realise I was breaking this.  I confess I
haven't looked at the smoketests for other languages at all, lately.  Sorry.

--
Richard