[Xapian-devel] Re: Java Bindings on a Mac

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Feb 10 02:12:14 GMT 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 06:21:34PM -0500, John Schult wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> >When you say "essentially", was that the only change?  If so, we should
> >be able to do that automatically for OS X.  And similarly for the
> >installation location and different library extension.
>
> Yes, that was the only change.  I agree, configure could certainly be
> changed to make it work.  I just was not the right person for that
> particular job :)

That's OK - I'm happy to make the configure changes, but I need to know
what tests are required.

I found this page on Apple's site which seems helpful:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/05-CoreJavaAPIs/CoreJavaAPIs.html

Based on this, I think -Djava.library.path wasn't working for you
because the extension was wrong (i.e. not .jnilib).

It also seems that /Library/Java/Extensions/ is the appropriate place to
install rather than /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Libraries/
(presumably the latter is for stuff which is shipped with the JVM).

I've now checked in changes so that on OS X configure should find jni.h
and "make install" should rename the built library to .jnilib.  I've
also documented the installation location.

If you're able to test an SVN snapshot, you need 7612 or later:

http://www.oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/

And "make check" should now work.