[Xapian-devel] Re: Java Bindings on a Mac

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Feb 10 02:52:41 GMT 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 09:37:41PM -0500, John Schult wrote:
> On 2/9/07, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> >It also seems that /Library/Java/Extensions/ is the appropriate place to
> >install rather than /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Libraries/
> >(presumably the latter is for stuff which is shipped with the JVM).
>
> 1. configure --with-java worked fine...
>
> 2. make ran fine
>
> 3. I defined DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as <full_path_to>/java/built and ran
> make check.  It was successful.
>
> 4. I undefined  DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and copied
> java/built/libxapian_jni.jnilib to /Library/Java/Extensions/.  A make
> check was successful.

Does "make check" work without setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or copying
libxapian_jni.jnilib anywhere?  It should do...

> Looks like you can set the install path to /Library/Java/Extensions.
> Thanks and glad I could help out :)

We don't install the JNI library anywhere special on other platforms, so
I think it's probably better to just document where to copy it to if you
want it installed system-wide.  I'm open to persuasion though,
especially if there's a suitable place to install on other platforms too.