[Xapian-devel] Build problems

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Feb 12 17:06:31 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:56:06PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 04:44:53PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
>
> > Okay, that puts me back in the old place. Aha! The test suite doesn't
> > clean up after itself properly - there was an older-format .flint
> > directory in place.

The idea is that we don't automatically clean up the indexed versions of
files which are only read by tests (in order to help speed up the
testsuite) but this is sometimes problematic as you've just found.
Perhaps we should nuke the cached databases when a test fails.  Or
scrap this caching - perhaps it isn't such a time penalty as we
originally assumed.  Worth timing at least.

> Now I'm getting failures with the remotetcp backend, because the test
> suite is looking for "Listening...", but this is going to stderr,
> which is being sent to /dev/null by the testsuite (again).

The "Listening..." goes to stdout, not stderr.

> This disappears from inside apitest.cc into the backend manager, so
> I'm not sure where to prod to fix this...

Well, it works for me.  It isn't the most robust mechanism ever devised
(though it's a lot less fragile than it used to be!)  Sometimes it gets
unhappy if there's a hung process on the port it wants to use, though
it is meant to retry with higher ports.  Try killing off any
xapian-tcpsrv processes you have hanging around.