[Xapian-devel] Branching for 1.1

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 22 10:28:25 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 03:52:52PM +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:
> However, since 1.0.5 we've implemented various things on HEAD which
> probably don't belong in a 1.0.X release: in particular, the replication
> code, while an API addition (and thus, technically possible to include
> in 1.0.6) is still a bit immature, and it would be good to give it a few
> months of development time to settle before freezing it into a release.

Hmm, "a few months" sounds a little worrying.  I've not really had a
play with it, but it would be bad if this held up 1.1.0.  Perhaps we
should consider creating a branch for it?

> I'm happy to make such a branch, but thought I'd check if other
> developers (especially Olly) agree that now is a sensible time to make
> it, or have other suggestions.

I'd prefer to hold off on branching until we're ready to make a 1.0.6
release.  My past experience of this sort of thing suggests that
tracking which changes are on which release branches is something of
a pain, so I'd rather do the branch creation, backporting of appropriate
changes, and 1.0.6 release over a short interval (and not while I'm
busily trying to emmigrate!)