[Xapian-devel] Branching for 1.1

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Thu Feb 21 15:52:52 GMT 2008

Xapian 1.0 was released a little over 9 months ago now.  We've been
adding features and fixing bugs throughout the 1.0 release series, and
have now got a reasonably stable and solid release with 1.0.5.  There
are still some outstanding bugs which are fixed in SVN but aren't yet in
any release, and more are likely to be discovered over the coming
months, so we'll be wanting to make at least a 1.0.6 release at some
point, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one further release
after that in the 1.0 series.  I don't expect that we are likely to want
to add any major new functionality to the 1.0 series now, though.

However, since 1.0.5 we've implemented various things on HEAD which
probably don't belong in a 1.0.X release: in particular, the replication
code, while an API addition (and thus, technically possible to include
in 1.0.6) is still a bit immature, and it would be good to give it a few
months of development time to settle before freezing it into a release.

I therefore think it is time to make a branch for continued development
of the 1.0 release series, and to dedicate HEAD to development towards
the 1.1 release series.

The appropriate branchpoint is probably just before we started adding
replication support.  There would then be a few further changes to apply
to the branch from HEAD which relate to bug fixes.

I'm happy to make such a branch, but thought I'd check if other
developers (especially Olly) agree that now is a sensible time to make
it, or have other suggestions.

--
Richard