[Xapian-devel] Sorting results by a "sort expression"

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Oct 10 05:37:00 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:55:04PM -0600, Rusty Conover wrote:
> Really?  As the author of ExternalSourcePostList, it will be very nice
> to not to have to maintain it against the releases any more. I didn't
> notice it landed.

Well, we changed the name (it's "external" to Xapian, but the adjective
didn't seem to add much from a API user's point of view so we decided a
shorter name was better, and "PostList" is an internal class name, and
the API has PostingIterator already so we went for "PostingSource"), and
I actually ended up reimplementing it because the underlying code had
changed quite a bit in places and we also wanted weight handling.  But
it's effectively a superset of your patch.

> Is the perl module patched as well?

Not yet - I've only recently added Search::Xapian to the main SVN repo
and prior to that it didn't have trunk and branches, so I was keeping
it 1.0-compatible.  It is wrapped for the SWIG bindings, but I suspect
we won't be ready to switch Search::Xapian to SWIG for 1.1.

> Thanks for taking that into the tree, I'll check it out and hopefully
> write an example or two for the docs.

Documentation improvements are definitely welcome.