[Xapian-devel] Xapian core build failure under gcc 2.95

David Sainty david.sainty at dtsp.co.nz
Wed Jan 21 02:59:08 GMT 2009

Hi Olly,

> This is the patch I've actually applied to trunk, which fixes up "#line"
> directives rather than nuking them (depcomp parses preprocessor output
> for "#line" so we no longer need that workaround):
>
> http://trac.xapian.org/changeset/11823/trunk/xapian-core/queryparser/Makefile.mk?format=diff&new=11823
>
> I'd be grateful if you could try this (it should apply to 1.0.10 cleanly).
> If it works I'll backport it for 1.0.11.

It took me a while to get the maintainer mode tools together to get the
patch to have an effect. I've tried a fresh build in maintainer mode
with and without this patch. The bad news is that it builds with both :)
The reason is that in maintainer mode the #line entries are valid anyway
(oddly I don't get the fully qualified paths [without the patch] that
you get when building the tarball - something different about how you
kick off the build).

I think your patch is a good fix (and gets rid of your machine's build
paths in the distribtion :). But my test isn't perfect - though you do
at least know that the build works after the with-patch manipulation. If
you want to verify for sure I guess you need to build
queryparser_internal.cc as you would for a distribution tar, and then I
can do a non-maintainer build in this environment with that file and see
if it completes.

Cheers,

Dave