[Xapian-devel] Xapian core build failure under gcc 2.95

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 21 04:22:09 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 03:59:08PM +1300, David Sainty wrote:
> It took me a while to get the maintainer mode tools together to get the
> patch to have an effect. I've tried a fresh build in maintainer mode
> with and without this patch. The bad news is that it builds with both :)
> The reason is that in maintainer mode the #line entries are valid anyway
> (oddly I don't get the fully qualified paths [without the patch] that
> you get when building the tarball - something different about how you
> kick off the build).

Ah, sorry about this.  I should have thought things through more.

The script which builds releases and snapshots does them with builddir
!= srcdir (sometimes called a VPATH build) - that's the difference
you're seeing.  With builddir = srcdir you used to get stuff like
this (with an extra harmless './'):

#line 1234 "./queryparser/queryparser.lemony"

Thanks for your efforts though - much appreciated, and they do give me
extra confidence in the fix.

> I think your patch is a good fix (and gets rid of your machine's build
> paths in the distribtion :).

Yes, that's certainly an improvement (though there are other places
where these leak in still).

> But my test isn't perfect - though you do
> at least know that the build works after the with-patch manipulation. If
> you want to verify for sure I guess you need to build
> queryparser_internal.cc as you would for a distribution tar, and then I
> can do a non-maintainer build in this environment with that file and see
> if it completes.

The simplest test would be to just use the version from an SVN trunk
snapshot - I've extracted one here:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/queryparser_internal.cc