[Xapian-devel] Python 3.0 patch for Xapian 1.0.11 - Where to send to?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 5 05:43:01 BST 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 07:03:02PM +0200, Kelm, Peter  ST/HZA-TG wrote:
> I managed to patch xapian-1.0.11 for use with Python 3.0.1 so that the
> python test suite works - except one test ("NumberValueRangeProcessor"
> call, lines 293-296 in "smoketest.py").
>
> Platform: Windows
> Versions used: Xapian 1.0.11 (with flax makefiles), swigwin 1.3.39, Python 3.0.1

Thanks for your enthusiasm, but I should note that for this to be useful
to us, it needs to:

(a) work with the autotools-based build system, since that is what
builds the source tarballs for releases.

(b) not simply upgrade everything to use a newer version of SWIG, or
at least if it does, someone needs to go through and very carefully
check that the changes to the SWIG-generated code for other languages
(including Python 2.x) are safe (i.e. harmless or beneficial).  We've
had issues with changes in newer SWIG versions breaking things before,
and 1.0.x is firmly in maintenance mode now.  Having recently done
this for updating trunk's version of SWIG which was already
substantially newer than that in 1.0.x, I'm pretty certain that we're
better off either using a different SWIG version for Python (or Python 3
even) or backporting relevant patches to the version of SWIG we're
using.

(c) Fix trunk first - the policy is that we don't make changes in 1.0.x
without making them on trunk first (unless the issue being addressed is
no longer relevant on trunk for some reason).  In this case, fixing
trunk first is also a lot easier, as point (b) doesn't apply there.

> Although I know that Python 3 support is not planned for 1.0.x.
> Nevertheless, where can I send this to for review/inclusion? The
> ticket at http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/346 notes one behaviour
> "failure in line 35" that is resolved with this patch.

It would certainly be useful to know what fixes that.

I'd say that the best thing to do is to attach your patch to that
ticket.

> This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the named
> recipient(s) and contains information which may be confidential or
> [5 more lines of legal nonsense snipped]

Please don't include confidentiality disclaimers on mail to public
mailing lists.  If you are unable to avoid them being added, you
can always sign up for a free webmail account for posting to lists.