[Xapian-devel] Xapian packages in rpmforge?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Sep 18 06:47:45 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 09:16:28AM -0400, Steve Huff wrote:
> i've recently joined the rpmforge maintainers; given that Tim Brody has
> already written specfiles for RHEL4 and RHEL5, would you be interested in
> my adding the xapian packages to rpmforge?  this would eliminate (or at
> least reduce) the need for you to maintain a separate repository and
> would mean that many users (those who have already configured their
> systems to pull packages from rpmforge) would have a turnkey installation
> of Xapian.

I don't know anything about rpmforge (and their website doesn't seem to
offer a useful high-level view of what they are, while wikipedia
redirects rpmforge to the middle of the fedora article, which doesn't
mention rpmforge at all).  I also don't use RPMs myself.

So I don't feel I can usefully have an opinion.  I'd talk to Tim and
Fabrice Colin and see what they think.

> i found the SRPMs in http://xapian.org/RPM/centos5/SRPMS/, so i don't
> think i'll need any further technical assistance in porting the
> packages, but i wanted to check in with you first.  thoughts?

There are spec files in the source tarballs, which I think are what the
RPMs in xapian.org/RPM use.  If they need changes, please do send in
patches (in each case .spec is actually generated from .spec.in, just
so that the package name and version update automatically - patches
against either are OK).