[Xapian-devel] Bindings for a Scheme implementation?

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Dec 1 17:20:26 GMT 2011

On 1 Dec 2011, at 16:31, Sven Hartrumpf wrote:

> Hi Schemers!

I'm more of a protoschemer. I think having good scheme support is going to be beneficial in lots of ways. (Beyond Java-based scheme implementations, which should just be able to use the existing Java bindings — although if there's stuff there we can improve it'll probably benefit other languages on top of the JVM too.)

> 1. bigloo (there does not seem to be SWIG support yet, so you could
>    skip this one at the moment?)

I hadn't heard of it…definitely sounds interesting, but yeah — for the future.

> 2. chicken
> 3. guile

Right. I think the way to approach this is twofold:

1. we can pretty quickly experiment with the SWIG chicken support and see what that gives us
2. figure out what idiomatic chicken use of Xapian would look like

2 is best done by someone with more scheme experience than me — even just a rough translation of the simpleindex / simplesearch stuff would help.

However, warning: I don't have much time to look at this at all at the moment :-(

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com