[Xapian-devel] Mentorship

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Feb 16 12:04:41 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:12:41AM -0800, Bruce Bland wrote:
> I would like to work with an area that allows the use of python or c++ if
> possible. Beyond that I am open to anything.

Not sure what your skill levels are like, but if you want something
fairly advanced to get your teeth into, getting the Python bindings to
use the full Python thread API involves both Python and C++, and would
be very useful to do - currently you have to run Xapian-using code in
the main interpreter when using mod_python or mod_wsgi:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/364

For something a bit gentler involving just C++, this is fairly
self-contained:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/471

If you want something to just help familiarise yourself with the code,
then you could look at the test coverage reports, and see what causes
the poor coverage in some places.  I've found whole unused functions
by doing this in the past, and found a few bugs by writing testcases
to add coverage.

There's a somewhat out of date coverage report here to give you an
idea:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/lcov/

Do you use IRC?  That's a bit more interactive, so might be a good way
to get you started.