[Xapian-devel] Idea: Backend for Lucene format indexes

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Feb 16 12:16:16 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:03:49AM +0200, Munir Hossain wrote:
> I'm interested to implement the idea of using search indexes build by
> Lucene. I have some idea of how to do that. I'm currently studying the index
> format of both. I have written an application of search using Lucene and now
> I'll do the same using Xapian. then I'll check the details of those index
> format and then find how to convert Lucene index to Xapian one. Is there
> somebody implementing the same idea?

Nobody's working on this yet, though (if we're accepted as a mentoring
organisation in GSoC this year) other students might also submit
applications based on this idea (or indeed any other).

But if you're thinking about it now, you're well ahead of the crowd, so
probably have a good chance of putting together a better application.

> Please comment on the idea I mentioned to implement this.

I'd say it sounds like a good way to familiarise yourself with the
formats, and how they differ.  One of the things to deal with is if
there's any information Xapian wants which isn't stored stored in the
Lucene format (e.g. the document length bounds may not be, though Xapian
already has to cope with those missing already for the older flint
backend).