[Xapian-devel] Omega 1.2.4 build questions

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 11 13:30:13 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 08:20:54PM +0530, xapian at catcons.co.uk wrote:
> Firstly, the build (from
> http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/1.2.4/xapian-omega-1.2.4.tar.gz) does not
> create/populate some directories including /var/lib/omega/templates.

OK, the reason why we don't install the templates there is because we
don't want an upgrade to stomp on any customised templates which the
user may have there.

For the debian package, I install the templates in
/usr/share/xapian-omega/templates in the package, and then if this is
the first install of the package, I symlink them into
/var/lib/xapian-omega/templates.

> Less importantly
> /tmp/SBo/package-xapian-omega/usr/share/vim/vim72 and content is missing.

I think we don't install the vim mode by default as the right place to
install it isn't easy to determine automatically.  The path above is
presumably only correct for vim 7.2 for example.

> Perhaps trivially (I presume initially empty) directories are missing:
> /tmp/SBo/package-xapian-omega/var/lib/omega/cdb,
> /tmp/SBo/package-xapian-omega/var/lib/omega/data and
> /tmp/SBo/package-xapian-omega/var/log/omega.

We should probably create these.

> Secondly, there are 38 .png files in the build directory, in
> /tmp/SBo/xapian-omega-1.2.4/images.  Are these required on the target system
> or are they just part of the build system?

Neither really.  As I mentioned in my other reply, they were used in
older versions of the templates, but now are only referred to by
commented out code.