[Xapian-devel] GSOC 2011 : Weighting Schemes and Matcher Optimisations

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Mar 27 13:24:35 BST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 02:30:02PM +0100, Santiago Pina Ros wrote:
> Now I feel ready to write my proposal. First of all I have to decide in
> which optimisations should I focus my efforts.
> How many optimisations do you expect from me to do? Wich ones do you think I
> could tackle?

It sounds like you have good coding skills and a suitable background for
getting to grips with this sort of project, so I'd think you should be
able to tackle most of them.  There are rough patches for a couple,
which should help.

> I think that "Boolean OR could be optimised
> further<http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/215>"
> could be a great optimisation.

It's not widely applicable currently, but would probably become more
useful in future.  It's also quite a gentle start I think.

The "settling pond" one (http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/394) would
definitely be a good to sort out - this makes a huge difference to a
slow case which some users have hit in real use.  But that's a bit
more involved, so I wouldn't suggest trying that first.