[Xapian-devel] Weighting Schemes Project for GSoC 2012

Prajwal A N prajwal.an92 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:23:26 BST 2012

Hi all,
    I am Prajwal, a sophomore Undergraduate student from IIT Bombay, India.
I want to contribute to Xapian through GSoC 2012.
    Specifically I am interested in the Weighting Schemes project. I have
not yet taken any IR related course, but IR and NLP have always been my
academic interests. I want to learn more about these topics, and I think
that this is the best opportunity to do so. I thus spent the last one week
going through some articles related to IR and weighing schemes (the ones
given in the XAPIAN page and from other internet sources).
    I am very proficient in coding in C++,Java and Python. I am currently
going through the documentation of the Xapian library. I wanted to know how
I should go about reading and knowing more about the project (to make
my theoretical background strong), and what I can possibly do to show that
I am deserving for this project, before the application period begins.
    Again as I said before, I want to make the maximum use of this
opportunity to learn more about IR. I request you to browse through my
website - www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~prajwal to have a look at my interests, and
skills.

Thank you,
--