[Xapian-devel] Weighting Schemes Project for GSoC 2012

Parth Gupta parthg.88 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 17:35:01 BST 2012

Hi Prajwal,

I wanted to know how I should go about reading and knowing more about the
> project (to make my theoretical background strong), and what I can possibly
> do to show that I am deserving for this project, before the application
> period begins.

The best way to go about for the weighting scheme project would be to zero
down to one of the potential weighting scheme. That can be Divergence From
Randomness (DFR), Language Modelling (LM), Learning to Rank etc.

Then you should try to understand the recipe of the weighting scheme from
some of the standard sources like an IR book or Scientific papers from the
original authors or so. Unfortunately DFR is recent enough not to be
involved in the IR book by Prabhakar Raghvan. So the papers would be the
best option.

Another thing should be to follow the page (below) for getting familiar
with Xapian code base and try to figure it out where your scheme fits in.

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC2012

Of course you can discuss the intermediate or even initial details or
questions you come across with the mentors through the mailing list or the
IRC.

Thanks for your interest.

Parth.