[Xapian-devel] Project: Text-Extraction Libraries

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 29 03:23:16 BST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 08:40:22PM +0530, ANSH BROWN wrote:
> May I know more details for the above project. I wanted to know
> whether I can opt for it. Below I'm listing points about me so that
> you have an idea about me hence you can tell easily whether I am
> eligible for this project or not.
>  - can program in C and in C++ (intermediate)
>  - can program in Java (beginner)
>  - have an intermediate level knowledge on computer architecture
> (especially 8086)
>  - can program in assembly (masm, beginner)
>  - I am a member of free software movement
>  - will be completing II year Bachelor of Engineering (Computer
> Science) in coming June
>
> I have recently started working on Qt. I also have knowledge on
> android development (beginner level though).

As the project idea notes, good C++ and knowledge of Linux/UNIX
system programming are the most useful things to have.  It's hard
to know what your skills really are from a brief summary, but it
sounds like it could well be a suitable fit for you.

I'd suggest taking a look at the code (how omindex works currently
and the prototype patch) and see if you can make sense of that.
That should give you a clearer picture of the work you'd be doing.