[Xapian-devel] GSoC xapian node binding thoughts

Liam xapian at networkimprov.net
Tue May 29 09:37:45 BST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM, James Aylett <james-xapian at tartarus.org>wrote:

> I'd favour either complaining about overflow of numbers rather than types,
> or auto-convert to strings so it's a bit more like using twitter snowflake
> ids. Or I guess something like the math.Long trick from Closure.

Isn't it poor form to work for a time and then overflow without warning? As
for a workaround, I'd want to know how users need to manipulate doc ids in
JS before choosing a hack...

Any idea when v8 will get 64 bit support? Or is this not on the roadmap at
> all?

They're under discussion for the next draft of the ECMA standard, I
believe.

On arrays, is there no way of deferring comprehension until later? So you
> could pass an array-like object around and slice it later.

Comprehension? Slice? Sorry I've not run across those terms in this context.

Once can define "getter" function members in an object or prototype
(class); accessing the member implicitly invokes the function. However we
wouldn't use that mechanism to perform I/O, as getters only function
synchronously.