[Xapian-devel] Explanation of how Eset works

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 15 22:16:02 GMT 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 02:26:49PM +0530, aarsh shah wrote:
> are you talking about the user being able to specify the weighing
> scheme or the user being able to override Xapian's weighing scheme and
> coding his own  ?  (in context with generating the Eset  )

Both (and to clarify, by "user" I mean "developer using the Xapian
API").

It should be like document weighting - there you can subclass
Xapian::Weight to code up a weighting scheme, but we provide some
such subclasses as standard (currently Xapian::BM25Weight,
Xapian::TradWeight and Xapian::BoolWeight).  There's nothing
special about these subclasses though, except they're in the
library.