[Xapian-devel] Getting Started with Xapian Socket codebase

Ankit Bhatnagar ankitbhatnagar2012 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 08:14:54 GMT 2013

Dear Olly,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:04:37AM +0530, Ankit Bhatnagar wrote:
> > Quite recently, I have been working on the project idea - Replacing
> Xapian
> > socket code with ZeroMQ. This is to inquire about what do I do next?
>
> You don't say what you've done so far, but if you haven't already, I'd
> suggest reading up on ZeroMQ, and looking at the existing code in Xapian
> (which is mostly in xapian-core/net/).

What I'm primarily doing is :

(1) Study ZeroMQ and its API. Try and execute example code/s locally.

(2) Examine how the socket code in Xapian works and relates to the actual
codeflow. <<< This was where I needed some guidance.

Now, that I have what is suggested by you, it should work a bit better.

> > Is there some documentation for the Socket codebase that I can use as a
> > reference or any open tickets/patches, that I can work on?
>
> The remote backend protocol and replication protocol are documented
> here:
>
> http://xapian.org/docs/remote_protocol.html
> http://xapian.org/docs/replication_protocol.html
>
> The socket-related tickets I am aware of are:
>
> http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/374
> http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/546

Thanks for the response.

Wishes.