[Xapian-devel] Xapian Arabic Support (was: Re: A new Idea in GSoC 2012)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 13 02:44:32 GMT 2013

Mohamed,

Last year you added an "Improve Arabic Support" idea to the Xapian GSoC
ideas list.  The text of the new idea was just taken from the Japanese
one with the language name changed, but Japanese and Arabic aren't very
similar languages.

You didn't respond to requests to clarify what actually needs doing,
or say if you would be interested in helping mentor such a project.
Student applications were about to open, so we commented out the idea.
The alternative was causing frustration by listing an idea for which we
didn't know what actually needing doing.

GSoC 2013 is approaching, but we still have a few weeks until student
applications open, so I thought I'd see if we could sort this out for
this year.  If you'd like to see this worked on, please help us to come
up with a list of what the current issues are.

It would help a lot if you were able to help mentor the project, or knew
someone else familiar with Arabic who was.  Without someone with such
knowledge, it is going to be much harder for us to effectively help a
student working on this.