[Xapian-devel] patch - add SnippetGenerator class

Greg Banks gnb at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 13 05:56:44 GMT 2013

G'day,

This is some code which have been using for some time now in our
searching beta, forward ported from 1.2.12 to today's git.  It adds a
class Xapian::SnippetGenerator which can be used to generate
human-readable snippet strings.  By default, the snippets are HTML
formatted, with the matched search term inside a <b> tag, 5 words of
context around matched search terms, and ellipsis "..." between
non-adjacent context.

There is a certain amount of code duplication with the TermGenerator
class, which is ugly but I considered preferable to major surgery to
separate out the various parsing phases of TermGenerator so that some of
them could be re-used for SnippetGenerator.  Sorry.

Yes, I know there is a GSOC project to add snippets to Xapian.  That
code did not appear to be stable when I needed it, so I wrote my own.
Perhaps it might be useful to someone.

--
Greg.