[Xapian-devel] GSoC 2014 : Learning to Rank

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Feb 17 11:09:12 GMT 2014

On 17 Feb 2014, at 06:55, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will start looking into the codebase and would like to discuss the project idea in detail on IRC and the mailing list once my midterms get over on the coming Saturday. Please let me know of any other resources that you think I should go through first to get started with contributing. Thanks.

Ankit — sounds like you're lined up to do the right things. If you haven't, check out <http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide>, our tips for students applying to us; in particular it recommends you grab one or two of the "bite size" project ideas and get stuck into the code that way. I wouldn't worry too much about finding ones that have anything to do with Letor, as the aim is to get a working knowledge of how the code fits together and how to work with it.

There's often someone around on IRC, and it's a good place to talk over rough ideas (although sometimes it will take a while for people to reply; most if not all the potential mentors check through the times when they aren't able to pay attention, so a reply may come a few hours later). You can also ask longer questions here on the mailing list. We're here to help you write the best proposal you can, so don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear.

Good luck!

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org