[Xapian-devel] GSoC 2014

karthik iyer karthikiyer2000 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 07:41:24 GMT 2014

Hello,

So my idea goes like this. Basically I have been working on Question
Answering systems. I developed a QA system for "when" type questions (sorry
I cant provide the source code at the moment because my paper is under
review at SIGIR 2014). I used the part-of-speech and developed a weighted
scoring system.
Now I basically plan on developing a generic QA system which encompasses a
large number of questions. The biggest drawback of my previous QA system
was the lack of relevance measuring mechanism. I want to develop a
relevance measure between a query and a sentence. I believe there already
exist many relevance measuring codes but those relate a query to a
document( as far as I know). To develop a relevance measure I need to take
into consideration a large number of sentences and questions so that a
generic feature set can be formed which will further be employed in my ML
algorithm. This needs a huge dataset of documents which I dont have due to
lack of any financial support. I was planning to use the AQUAINT 2 dataset
but it costs $500 which i cannot afford.
Now if I am successful at building a relevance measuring system between a
query and a sentence then I will take into consideration only those
sentences that are relevant. Then I will apply my scoring system to those
sentences which will help me select the final answer sentence. In my
previous project I got an efficiency of ~74% tested on 200 test queries. I
believe that with a proper relevance measure I can cross the 90% mark.
Please give your suggestions on my project idea. It would be very helpful.

Regards
Karthik