[Xapian-devel] c#/ java binding improvements

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Jul 1 15:17:24 BST 2014

On 1 Jul 2014, at 14:49, Chamara Philips <chcphilips at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a  Computer Science and Engineering student at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I went through the project proposals of Xapian at Gsoc 2014. I found the project "c# binding improvement", very attractive for me to start up with committing to open-source community. And then found that is is not taken by any student. Please, some one can help me to start on this.

Hi, Chamara. Ultimately what you'll want to do will be to grab one of the tickets listed in the project description (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#Project:CBindingsImprovements), such as http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/204, which if you read it notes that we only have one remaining use of SWIGTYPE_p_*.

In order to work on the C# bindings (and that ticket in particular) you'll need to get comfortable with SWIG, but I'd start off a little slower, getting comfortable with the Xapian codebase and making sure you can build it on your development machine. Our instructions for GSoC students (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide) are mostly helpful here (except the stuff about writing a proposal, which you obviously don't need to do). The advice about choosing a "bite size" feature or bug to help get familiar with the code is a really good one, and we're always happy for people to submit improvements to Xapian.

Welcome!

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org