[Xapian-devel] Windows build files

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Thu Jul 17 10:47:01 BST 2014

Hi all,

For several years I maintained the Windows build files for Xapian and we
hosted them at http://www.flax.co.uk/xapian_binaries - we had a number
of clients actively using Xapian at the time. This is no longer the case
and we haven't worked on a Xapian project for several years now. I
haven't managed to keep the files up to date unfortunately - the process
is complicated and can be rather painful, requiring older versions of
Microsoft tools to be located and run and some hacking of the Xapian
sources.

We're going to be redesigning our website shortly and have thus taken
the decision not to continue hosting these files. If anyone would like
to take over the hosting of them do feel free - perhaps at least the
Xapian homepage or Wiki should have a page mentioning how the files were
built in the past, the latest README file at
http://www.flax.co.uk/xapian/128/readme.txt would be a good start.

Of course there is also MINGW and the associated cross-compiling tools
for building Xapian on a Windows system, which may be a safer route for
some people.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Cheers

Charlie
Flax
www.flax.co.uk