[Xapian-devel] GSoC Idea

Parth Gupta pargup8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:50:15 GMT 2014

Dear Sidhant,

We do welcome the student's idea but it would be more useful if you
introduce your idea with more details. Based on the information you provide
and glancing through the attached paper, I have following questions:

1. The confidence measure mentioned in the paper assigns multiple weights
to the terms which are basically features for the categorization task, how
do you perceive it for the query-document setting of IR here in Xapian?
Please be more elaborate.

2. "The major problem with text categoriztion is that the system doesn't
take into account the context of the query." - Yes, it is certainly a
challenge but there are several ways to get this context from the user
profiling (personalised search) to diversified IR where you give all the
diverse results for the same query. Where do you place your proposal and
how do you want to achieve it.

Cheers,
Parth.