[Xapian-devel] Willing to Join Xapian.

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 10 22:05:02 GMT 2014

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 07:53:01PM +0530, Priyank Bhatt wrote:
> I am willing to work for Xapian . I'm a fourth year undergraduate Student ,
> I have done my elimentary course on machine learning algorithm .
> I am also familiar with C/C++ and basis Python,HTML,CSS,Javascript .
> Please suggest what all do I need to learn or read so as to start
> contributing to the open source community of Xapian . As an amateur and as
> per your free slots what project form the idea's page should I work on ?

If by "free slots" you mean student slots for GSoC, then it's far too
early to talk about that - mentoring orgs don't get allocated slots
until April 15th next year:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015

If you read the timeline, you'll see that mentoring orgs don't even
apply to take part until February 9th 2015, so at this point we can't
say for certain that Xapian will even be taking part next year - no
mentoring org knows currently.  We are planning to apply, and the
feedback our students give is generally very positive, so I think it's
likely we'll get a place, but it is competitive - last year 371 orgs
applied and 190 were accepted.

As for how to get started, first step is to check out the code from
our git repo and get it to build.

Once you've done that, you want to start getting familiar with the code,
so pick something small you find interesting and try to do it.  There
are some "bite-size" ideas on the wiki:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProjectIdeas