[Xapian-devel] Help with xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 22 11:53:41 BST 2014

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 08:07:33PM +0530, karthik iyer wrote:
> I am interested in doing some developement work for xapian. I have
> built the xapian core library on my system and also tried my hands on
> a few features of xapian. For the past few days I have been going
> through the code base of xapian. I am trying to understand how the
> features are implemented ( i tried looking into the codes of porter
> stemming and list encoding) but I've not had any significant progress.
> I am new to open source but have some experience with IR projects.
> Could you please suggest some proper place to start with?

My suggestion would be to set yourself a goal, for example some small
new feature to add, and then work towards that.  At least for me, that
approach usually works better than trying to understand how something
works just by looking at it.

There's a list of project ideas on the wiki which might be suitable:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProjectIdeas

Or if you're interested in a particular area, people might be able to
suggest something related to that.