[Xapian-devel] Student looking to contribute toward Xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jun 28 17:54:00 BST 2015

On 27 Jun 2015, at 12:51, Rohit Shinde <rohit.shinde12194 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently completed my engineering in Computer Science. I came across Xapian while looking for GSoC organisations. I was browsing through the ideas page and it was written that you would be willing to mentor anyone interested in working on those projects. I am interested in this:http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#Project:LearningtoRank  and this: http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas#Project:WeightingSchemes.
>
> I can program fairly well in Python, Java, C++ and Scheme. I have taken courses in Machine Learning and Data Mining. My major project was in NLP so I have fair knowledge of that field too.
>
> What project should I choose and how should I get started?

Hi, Rohit! Weighting schemes are probably easier to contribute to straight away, as there are still a lot of different projects on LTR that haven’t been merged together, so there’s a risk you’d want to build on features that aren’t all available in the same codebase.

To get started, follow the GSoC Guide (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide) as much as possible — in particular it recommends getting comfortable with the codebase, fixing a small bug or two or adding a small feature, and has recommendations on how to plan out a project such as adding a new weighting scheme. (Having a plan is good practice for anything, not just GSoC!)

Best,
James

--
 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker