[Xapian-devel] Trying to get Search::Xapian perl module to compile on win32

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 2 22:33:09 GMT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 01:51:07PM +0000, Desmond Daignault wrote:
> any code I write for this is expected to be licensed under whatever
> license the original work is using.

That isn't what the patch licensing policy asks for though.  Please read
it carefully, as it explains both what we're asking for and why we're
asking for it.

> I haven't tried compiling latest code under visual studio yet (is this
> possible?).

It should be, though it's not regularly tested lately, so may need some
changes.

> I wonder if there is a way to tell gcc to not mangle the names during
> cross compile.  I was able to successfully cross compile libxml and a
> few others without impacting the perl module compile but that is
> probably due to them being just a C project.

It's not the name mangling that's the big issue - GCC and MSVC have
their own versions of the C++ standard library - I very much doubt
these would be ABI compatible.

For C code this isn't an issue, as mingw uses MSVC's CRT.