[Xapian-devel] Trying to get Search::Xapian perl module to compile on win32

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 2 23:05:59 GMT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 02:21:52PM +0000, Desmond Daignault wrote:
> Actually, looks like I need to patch the configure script when cross
> compiling to have gcc produce a .def file which I can then use to
> produce a .lib file for linking against.  I'll send that patch along
> as soon as I get it tested out.
>
> See: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSVC_and_MinGW_DLLs

GCC on mingw should be able to link against a DLL without needing an
import library, so I don't think you do need to patch configure as you
describe.

As I've said, building Xapian with GCC and then trying to use that from
MSVC is not likely to work (it would for a C library, which is what that
URL you point to is discussing - note that the source file in their
example is 'testdll.c').