xapian-letor refactoring and adding tests

Ayush Tomar ayushtomar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:57:02 BST 2016

Hello,

I applied to letor stabilisation project for gsoc. I'd like to use coming
weeks to improve the workability of xapian-letor. For that, I'm planning to
refactor code in current master and begin writing some tests for it.

Before adding tests, I think it would be better if xapian-letor could be
made consistent with how xapian-core is written. For that, I'd first like
to restructure some directories.

Here are a few things that I intend to do:

1.  Placing all api headers together (e.g. ranklist.h, letor_internal.h
etc) in xapian-letor/include/letor

2. Rewriting letor.h and placing it in xapian-letor/include so that it does
a job similar to xapian.h. The current letor.h contains some methods for
which it is not the appropriate file.

 3. Creating subdirectories like "ranker", "features" etc. and placing
appropriate files in them.

4. Fixing minor bugs that I encounter in completing this process. (For
instance, including svmranker in Makefile.am, since it does not do so at
present).

5.  Ask for a review and merge changes to master.

Is this the right way to go about it?

Regards,
Ayush