xapian-letor refactoring and adding tests

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Apr 3 01:23:25 BST 2016

On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 06:27:02PM +0530, Ayush Tomar wrote:
> Here are a few things that I intend to do:
>
> 1.  Placing all api headers together (e.g. ranklist.h, letor_internal.h
> etc) in xapian-letor/include/letor
>
> 2. Rewriting letor.h and placing it in xapian-letor/include so that it does
> a job similar to xapian.h. The current letor.h contains some methods for
> which it is not the appropriate file.

I like the idea, but since these (1 and 2) get installed under
/usr/include when packaged, I think "xapian-letor/include/xapian-letor/"
and "xapian-letor/include/xapian-letor.h" are better from a namespacing
point of view.

>  3. Creating subdirectories like "ranker", "features" etc. and placing
> appropriate files in them.

This seems reasonable, so long as it's not taken to excess - if you end
up with a lot of subdirectories, each with 1 or 2 files in, that would
probably be harder to work with than a flat structure.

> 4. Fixing minor bugs that I encounter in completing this process. (For
> instance, including svmranker in Makefile.am, since it does not do so at
> present).
>
> 5.  Ask for a review and merge changes to master.
>
> Is this the right way to go about it?

Sounds good to me.