xapian-letor refactoring and adding tests

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Apr 3 12:24:02 BST 2016

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 01:23:25AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > 4. Fixing minor bugs that I encounter in completing this process. (For
> > instance, including svmranker in Makefile.am, since it does not do so at
> > present).
> >
> > 5.  Ask for a review and merge changes to master.
>
> Sounds good to me.

It's worth pointing out that the master branch does not contain a
working version of xapian-letor, for the reasons discussed in the
project description. So you are likely to need to incorporate code
from v-hasu's branch in order to get anything useful, which is why we
suggest structuring the project as described.

A subset of the work that might be helpful is to bring in the external
header files (what Olly is suggesting end up as xapian-letor.h and in
xapian-letor/) and do the moving around and refactoring/splitting that
you suggest. That should make for a small change that can be reviewed,
and has the advantage of making clear the Letor API. (This then
enables further pieces of work such as starting to write automated
tests for the API, and may also highlight areas where the API is
perhaps too closely bound to the tools that have been written so far.)

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org