GSoC 2016 - Introduction

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Apr 29 12:03:05 BST 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 05:31:45PM +0530, Richhiey Thomas wrote:

> Most of my doubts are around writing tests and how do I start
> implementing the proposed solution to clustering in the current
> codebase. I'll form a few concrete questions and get back in a day
> or two.

Hi, Richhiey -- hopefully you're beginning to get a feeling for how
tests work within Xapian. What I'd suggest you do is to start by
writing a single test that does a very simple cluster (perhaps just a
single document database). The test won't compile initially, but it
will help you think about the API, because you'll be writing client
code to implement the test.

You can probably open a PR containing this as a place to discuss that
API, and then move from there to declaring the classes you need (at
which point the tests will compile but not link), some stub
implementations (link but not pass) and then finally on to building
the actual implementation, at which point you'll also have ideas for
other tests to write.

I'd probably put the tests in a new xapian-core/tests/api_cluster.cc
file (and add it into collased_apitest_sources in
xapian-cores/tests/Makefile.am).

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org