Problem with configuring Xapian

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Aug 3 13:42:04 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 04:56:36PM +0530, Amanda Jayanetti wrote:

> I specified XAPIAN_CONFIG as James instructed by running,
>
>  ./configure XAPIAN_CONFIG=path/to/xapian-config-1.3

Note that you (probably) want to install the 1.4.0 release if
possible, at which point that will drop to just
xapian-config. Certainly any documentation should talk about that,
which is what users will want.

> I have installed all the dependencies specified in xapian-core HACKING file
> including libtool. But I still get the following error when XO_LIB_XAPIAN
> is added to configure.ac,
>
> configure.ac:3: error: defn: undefined macro: LT_INIT
> aclocal.m4:43: XO_LIB_XAPIAN is expanded from...
> configure.ac:3: the top level
> autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>
> Could anyone tell me what I might be missing?

So the problem is that XO_LIB_XAPIAN is trying to access the libtool
macros. Olly may be able to help here; we don't want to turn this into
a libtool-based project (that doesn't seem to play nicely with R).

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org