Pull requests: CJK words and Snippet generator

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Aug 3 18:26:00 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 06:54:32PM +0200, rsto at paranoia.at wrote:

> I created pull request https://github.com/xapian/xapian/pull/117 which
> updates MSet to optionally calculate snippet relevances based on query
> term coverage. That's similar to how it is done in the latest version of
> the FastMail snippet generator. I'd be happy to migrate the remaining
> features of the FastMail snippet generator into MSet, but it might be
> good to do so feature by feature.

I don't have time to look at this right now, but from a quick look
this seems to be a promising way of merging the additional FastMail
features :)

> Oddly enough, the pull request causes Travis to break for clang but not
> for gcc [1]. That's because the clang build process fails for the test
> 'querypairwise1' [2], which AFAIK I didn't touch at all.  Is that a
> known issue or did I break anything?
>
> [1] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/builds/149512190
> [2] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/jobs/149512191#L15051

Hmm, it's been running okay on recent PRs as far as I
know. That's...weird :-(

> I'm a bit a loss here. I can't get it to build on both 12.04 LTS and
> 14.04 LTS. On 12.04 LTS Travis breaks due to pkg-config missing [3]. On
> 14.04 LTS the build breaks due to Python missing the sphinx package [4].
> That's probably a Python version 2 vs 3 environment issue.
>
> [3] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/jobs/149516398#L1530
> [4] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/jobs/149516019#L4262
>
> The only way is see is to get rid of the pkg-config checks in
> configure.ac and check in configure.ac for libicu headers and libraries.
> Or do you plan to use pkg-config in xapian-core and rather make this
> work with Travis?

As far as I'm aware, we're not planning on using pkg-config in
xapian-core; the general aim is to keep dependencies to a bare
minimum. Right now that's libuuid and zlib (and a little more for
Omega), and although they both do provide pkgconfig, our existing
autoconf detection of those has never caused problems that I'm aware
of.

Do you think it's safe to detect libicu using headers? I'm not
convinced it's simple enough to do reliably (hence the old icuconfig
system before moving to pkg-config).

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org