Pull requests: CJK words and Snippet generator

rsto at paranoia.at rsto at paranoia.at
Wed Aug 3 19:17:05 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016, at 19:26, James Aylett wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 06:54:32PM +0200, rsto at paranoia.at wrote:
> > Oddly enough, the pull request causes Travis to break for clang but not
> > for gcc [1]. That's because the clang build process fails for the test
> > 'querypairwise1' [2], which AFAIK I didn't touch at all.  Is that a
> > known issue or did I break anything?
> >
> > [1] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/builds/149512190
> > [2] https://travis-ci.org/xapian/xapian/jobs/149512191#L15051
>
> Hmm, it's been running okay on recent PRs as far as I
> know. That's...weird :-(

I see that querypairwise1 tests for the running time of a test case.
Could there be a glitch with high loads on the Travis build machine
causing inconsistent runtime performance? The error message for clang
reads:

    Running test: querypairwise1... FAILED
    Test with 50 repetitions took 0.003521 secs
    Test with 500 repetitions took 0.055811 secs

Whereas the same test succeeded for the g++ build. I'll retry to build
tomorrow.

> Do you think it's safe to detect libicu using headers? I'm not
> convinced it's simple enough to do reliably (hence the old icuconfig
> system before moving to pkg-config).

Thanks, I'll see how autoconf checks for libuuid and zlib. Use of
icuconfig is indeed discouraged by the ICU maintainers . If I can't get
the PR build properly without pkgconfig, I'll make both libicu and
pkg-config optional. To do so, I'll try to get Travis build with 14.04
LTS, which might require a few build runs.

I'll notify you when the CJK pull request passes Travis.

Cheers,
Robert