Pull requests: CJK words and Snippet generator

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Aug 4 14:08:41 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 08:17:05PM +0200, rsto at paranoia.at wrote:

> I see that querypairwise1 tests for the running time of a test case.
> Could there be a glitch with high loads on the Travis build machine
> causing inconsistent runtime performance? The error message for clang
> reads:
>
>     Running test: querypairwise1... FAILED
>     Test with 50 repetitions took 0.003521 secs
>     Test with 500 repetitions took 0.055811 secs
>
> Whereas the same test succeeded for the g++ build. I'll retry to build
> tomorrow.

Yeah, looking at the code what it does is to increase the number of
repetitions until it's "measurable", then times by ten and check it
isn't too much more than the previous pass. querypairwise1 should
scale O(n); it just OP_ORs two single-term queries together.

The threshold for O(n) is 14.1, so there's a fair amount of
leeway. Probably just an overly-loaded system. (Travis is apparently
better during Europe morning than Europe afternoon, by which time the
US has woken up and started using it more :-)

> > Do you think it's safe to detect libicu using headers? I'm not
> > convinced it's simple enough to do reliably (hence the old icuconfig
> > system before moving to pkg-config).
>
> Thanks, I'll see how autoconf checks for libuuid and zlib. Use of
> icuconfig is indeed discouraged by the ICU maintainers . If I can't get
> the PR build properly without pkgconfig, I'll make both libicu and
> pkg-config optional. To do so, I'll try to get Travis build with 14.04
> LTS, which might require a few build runs.

Cool, hopefully something along those lines will yield fruit.

> I'll notify you when the CJK pull request passes Travis.

That's great, thanks!

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org