KMeans - Evaluation Results

Ayush Tomar ayushtomar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:07:06 BST 2016

> Actually, you're doing something slightly unusual there: making the
> internal member public. Protected would be better, and private is I think
> most usual; library clients aren't going to have access to the Internal
> class declaration, so they can't call things on it. This means it's
> actually difficult right now to subclass Feature.
>
> I don't think we should worry about this with LTR right now, but I suspect
> a better approach is to pass the FeatureList (as a helper) to
> Feature::get_values(), or set it when we add the Feature to FeatureList,
> and use that to ask for things like the current query, current document,
> normalised lengths &c.

I see. What I've put in Feature::Internal can actually be part of
FeatureList class (maybe as FeatureList::Internal). For the time being,
I'll at least make the internal member in Feature as protected, and we can
take this up later when we are getting rid of Letor class and putting
everything under Ranker.

> It's possible that we could also do the thing Weight does, and have each
> Feature report which statistics it needs, so FeatureList can calculate them
> each once in advance before calling get_values() on all its Feature
> objects. (Weight objects I think get the statistics poked onto them, but

This is a good idea.
(words after "but" are somehow missing, could you please resend?)

> --
Ayush