GSoC / EUC / JIS / 9P / Eric Lindblad

Eric Lindblad geirfuglaps at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 13:48:52 GMT 2016

>> Subject: GSoC / utf-8 / 9P2000 / ndb(6)-like / Eric Lindblad
>> Date: Monday, February 15, 2016, 11:27 AM

> Hi Eric!

Hello J. A.,

>> 2. Human Language Support

>> Here is another [webpage Character Encoding (EUC-JP)] link regarding software using mecab.
>> http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~yw3t-trns/namazu/index.htm

> don’t know how useful pointing at a different search engine is actually going to be

Namazu is dying or dead.
It uses EUC encoding.
Xapian stands on UTF-8 encoding.

> if there’s something helpful in there then please do add it to the resources list for that project

I sent the link as an example of software using mecab.

>> Here is an article by Rob Pike and Ken Thompson (Plan 9).
>> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/utf

> Is that the one you mean?

There is a section, more precisely a few lines, pertaining to jis fonts.

> I agree though that we could do with something general about Unicode / UTF-8 usage in the docs.

Kermit is one option for rendering different fonts in terminals (I believe over serial lines).

Plan 9 is another option (two 9term screenshots attached).
Sean Quinlan's MS port here: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/extra/9pm051031.zip

An example file would be to render the beginning of T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" in a terminal.

>> 7. Applications

>> It might be interesting to use Xapian with 9P2000.

>> Do you want to add a project to the wiki for this?

The subject of using NineP [Haskell], Saveliev's py9p [Python] (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/py9p/1.0.8) and/or its predecessors [also Python], might be broached with T. Newsham, other obligations and time permitting, and if feasible, later be brought up to potential students of Haskell and Python.

I do know that some former B. Labs' personnel who worked with Plan 9 are now at Google.

No, I probably don't want to add a project to the wiki.

> James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker

Sincerely,
Eric Lindblad