Implementation of substring search in omegascript

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Feb 15 14:35:55 GMT 2016

On 15 Feb 2016, at 13:13, Ayush Gupta <ayushgp10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have created a pull request with the necessary changes to the docs and with proper indentation. I have submitted the pull request to the master branch of the xapian project. Should I have posted it in some other branch? I wasn't sure about this.

No, that’s correct — we have a whole load of branches, but unless you know otherwise master is always the one to work off and target changes to.

I’ve created a PR against your branch, to show you more closely how our style guide applies to this code; it’s mostly a matter of making lines match the code around them, but it’s a lot easier for me to show you with a diff than try to explain it.

(You can merge that, and then use git’s autosquash feature to merge the two commits together: `git rebase -i --autosquash` will start that process.)

Note also that the first line of a commit should be in the imperative (“Add …” rather than “Added …”), because it matches commit messages made automatically by git.

(You can do that during interactive rebase, which is what autosquash uses. This Thoughtbot article is a good introduction to a very powerful tool: https://robots.thoughtbot.com/git-interactive-rebase-squash-amend-rewriting-history .)

There are some good articles online about commit messages in general, which need to carry more information as you tackle more complex issues; I like this one from Thoughtbot: https://robots.thoughtbot.com/5-useful-tips-for-a-better-commit-message .

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org